Tuesday, January 12, 2010

dyeing to be different




This is a fairly elaborate example of Japanese shibori tie and stitch resist dyeing I'm making to show my art students for our class this week. First I used elastics to make cylindrical gathered bits in a regular pattern across the square piece of fabric. Then I hand-stitched with a running stitch between cylinders and gathered them into ruffles to create another type of visual texture. I think it ended up looking like a sculptural piece on its' own - like a sea urchin.


These are other simpler examples of tying and the corresponding result after it had been dyed for 2 hours in an over-the counter fabric dye. My students really enjoyed the vibrancy of the colours, and the mystery of how their tying would create design elements. Basically, it's been a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...