Saturday, September 25, 2010

great mama reading

As a pretty voracious non-fiction reader and a huge advocate of Public Libraries, I've managed to come across some books during my pregnancy that are have been really helpful and inspiring for me as a mother-to-be. Above is Living Simply With Children, which encourages families to cut down on the static and focus on what's important in family life together.

This next gem is a personal favourite (you can tell because it's overdue at the library and I have no intention of returning it even after 4 weeks!), and has simple and beautiful knitting patterns for things babies could actually use without destroying them with their various bodily fluids. I'm knitting Baby's First Blanket, from Natural Nursery Knits, which I chose a Kelly green pima cotton for. Follow my progress for this project on the link above to Ravelry.com.

The Baby Book has been recommended to me by some dear friends who've recently done the first baby thing and swear it's the best. The bums on the cover alone are pretty great, but after some perusal it look chock full of help. Since baby's not here yet, we'll see!

This book was given to me by my Mum's oldest and best friend J. who's a La Leche League leader (lots of "L's") and breastfeeding pioneer of the 1970's and 1980's, when many women had stopped breastfeeding and common knowledge and wisdom of this most womanly of arts was scarce at best. Her wishes for me to do what's best for my baby rather than what's socially acceptable are an inspiration, and so is the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

Being a parent and a Mum have figured prominently in dreams (and nightmares!) I've had recently, and so I thought I'd check out some of the feelings I've been having with the book Breaking the Good Mom Myth. So far it's reminded me to take on new tasks with the courage and ego less-ness of a toddler learning to walk: they get up every time they fall because they want to master walking, not to be "perfect" at it. Great advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...